Apples are back in season which means that Apples are plenty, delicious and cheap…
Yesterday we left on a whim to go apple picking and came back with 55 lbs of apples for about 30$… It has been beautiful lately and yesterday was no exception, It may be fall but it was warm and sunny and a perfect day to be out in the orchard picking apples off the trees and eating them within seconds of being picked..
The boys and I have been peeling and preparing apples all morning, preparing them for the dehydrator and for apple sauce and fruit leathers and whatever else comes to mind…
One of our favourite apple recipes is Apple Family Pancake… I have been making it for a few years and it has only improved with time…
This makes enough for all of us for a filling breakfast and then usually there is a bit left in the pan for picking at for the rest of the morning.
- 4-5 apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds*
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups of milk (coconut, almond, soy etc)
- 2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- First thing is to take a pan and put about 4 tbsp of butter in it. A large Cast iron skillet works best here, but any large heavy pan will do in a pinch (if you are using a cake pan a 9 in would be good).
- Next, place the pan in the oven and pre-heat to 400… the butter will melt and the pan will get hot and get coated which is the goal here.
- While the oven is heating up, mix the eggs and milk in a bowl, add the flour and baking powder (which you can mix together using a fork while it sits on top of the liquids and then mix until well incorporated without over-mixing. This should resemble a thick pancake batter.
- In another bowl, place the apples, sugar, oats, almonds, cinnamon, vanilla extract and almond extract and then pour the melted butter over it all (remember… it’s in the oven) and mix well. Try to not eat all of this mixture right away… it basically tastes like a raw apple crumble!
- Pour the batter into the hot pan and then pour the apple mixture on top and spread evenly and then place in the oven and bake for about 25-30 min….
- Wait for the smell of apples and cinnamon and almonds to permeate your home and for everyone to start drooling..
Happy Apple season!!