When I asked Willa what she wanted for her birthday cake she said pink cupcakes. I could have easily used my Butter cookie vanilla cake recipe to make the cupcakes but I wanted something different. See, I have the perfect cupcake in mind. It is light and fluffy and not at all dry with a delicate crumb. So I searched…
And then I found this recipe. It looked great so I had to try it…
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (I used all-purpose flour, took out 2 tbsp of flour and replaced it with 2 tbsp of cornstarch)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil (light tasting)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup soy milk with 1tsp lemon juice)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with whisk, and set aside.
- In another bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds until they are pale in colour. Add sugar and continue to beat for about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and oil and beat again.
- Slowly add about half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and fold. Add half of the milk, fold and then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Mix until just combined but do not overmix.
- Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Let cool before adding icing.
The cupcakes were delicious and baked perfectly. But if I am honest, it still was not what I am looking for, but they could easily be someones perfect cupcake.
So I am still on the hunt for the perfect vanilla/white cupcake recipe. Any suggestions?